Current Affairs News:
1. In a ranking of 163 countries, compiled by global think tank ‘Institute for Economics and Peace’ (IEP), Syria has been named as the least peaceful, followed by South Sudan, Iraq, Afghanistan and Somalia. On the other hand, Iceland was ranked as the world’s most peaceful country. India has been ranked at 141st place in this Global Peace Index, making it less peaceful than countries like Burundi, Serbia and Burkina Faso.
2. India has surpassed Japan to become the world’s third-largest oil consumer, according to a report of ‘BP Statistical Review of World Energy’. US is first while China is at second place in terms of oil consumption. ‘
3. India, America and Japan will take part in a trilateral maritime exercise Malabar-16, starting from 10 June. The exercise will take place at Sasebo in Japan.
4. In another crucial backing for India’s NSG bid, Mexico supported “positively” and “constructively” its membership of the 48-nation bloc as the two countries agreed to develop a roadmap to upgrade bilateral ties to a strategic partnership.
5. Before the start of the EURO 2016, Germany and Arsenal’s star midfielder Mesut Ozil has been named as the Laureus Sport for Good Ambassador.
6. Maria Sharapova has been suspended for two years by the International Tennis Federation for testing positive for meldonium at the Australian Open.
7. The World Bank has lowered its forecast for the global growth in 2016 to 2.4 per cent, saying that the world economy is facing stronger headwinds.
8. Narendra Modi became the sixth Indian Prime Minister to address the joint session of the US Congress. Before this Jawaharlal Nehru, Rajiv Gandhi, P V Narasimha Rao, Atal Behari Vajpayee and Manmohan Singh have addressed US Congress.
9. Prime Minister returns home after his five nation tour.
10. India ranked 141 on Global Peace Index
11. US President Barack Obama officially endorses Hillary Clinton as the Democratic Party presidential nominee.
12. Former Liverpool defender Daniel Agger retires at 31
13. Researchers in Assam developed two rice variants, Ranjit Sub-1 & Bahadur Sub-1, for submerged areas
14. NATO launches biggest ever Joint Military Exercise Anaconda-16 in Poland
15. President Mukherjee Receives First Copy Of 'The Education President' Book
16. Maria Sharapova receives two-year ban for failing drug test.
Current Affairs Quiz:
1. Which country is hosting month-long UEFA Euro 2016 football championship?
2. With the sovereign wealth fund of which country the National Infrastructure Investment Fund signed a MoU to attract investment into India?
3. Who was appointed as the head of Pay Revision Committee by the UGC to suggest on pay revision of academic staff of Universities and Colleges?
a) Prof S Bandyopadhayay
b) Prof V S Chauhan
c) Prof Indranil Manna
d) Prof K V Thomas
4. Name the teenager from Tamil Nadu who became first Indian to clinch the Mumbai Mayor's International Open Chess Tournament.
a) Subramanian Arun Prasad
b) NR Visakh
c) Magesh Panchanathan
d) Sandipan Chanda
5. Name the eminent scientist who recently took over as Chief Executive of Nuclear Fuel Complex.
a) G Kalyanakrishnan
b) N Saibaba
c) Vishay Rao
d) None of the above
6. Name the Indian-American author who won the 2016 International DUBLIN Literary Award for his novel Family Life.
a) Mindy Kaling
b) Akhil Sharma
c) Subhash Kak
d) Ashok Das
7. Who emerged victorious in the Peru's 2016 Presidential Election?
a) Keiko Fujimori
b) Alejandro Toledo
c) Pedro Pablo Kuczynski
d) Ollanta Humala
8. Name the Raging Bull actress who died recently.
a) Julie Newmar
b) Irish McCalla
c) Jane Russel
d) Theresa Saldana
9. Who was appointed as the head of the UN Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan in June 2016?
a) Major General Delali Johnson
b) Major General Per Lodin
c) Major General Polly barber
d) Major General Lucas Peterson
10. Name the Bengal off-spinner who announced his retirement in June 2016, ending a first-class cricket career of 17 years?
a) Saurasish Lahiri
b) Writtick Chatterjee
c) Ashish Magotra
d) Manoj Tiwary
11. Who of the following tennis star was suspended from Tennis for two years by the International Tennis Federation (ITF)?
a) Anna Kournikova
b) Maria Sharapova
c) Ana Ivanovic
d) Caroline Wozniacki
12. Which of the following country was not recognised by World Health Organization (WHO) for eliminating mother-to-child transmission of HIV and Syphilis?
13. Who was presented with the USIBC Global Leadership Award by the PM Narendra Modi in Washington DC?
a) Jeff Bezos
b) Sunder Pichai
c) Mark Zuckerberg
d) Satya Nadella
14. Which European country launched the ‘SAIP’ smart phone app to alert users on terror attacks and other disasters?
15. Who topped the Forbes 2016 World's Highest-Paid Athletes List?
a) Cristiano Ronaldo
b) Tiger Woods
c) Floyd Mayweather Jr
d) Lewis Hamilton
1. (c) France
2. (a) Qatar
3. (b) Prof V S Chauhan
4. (b) NR Visakh
5. (a) G Kalyanakrishnan
6. (b) Akhil Sharma
7. (c) Pedro Pablo Kuczynski
8. (d) Theresa Saldana
9. (b) Major General Per Lodin
10. (a) Saurasish Lahiri
11. (b) Maria Sharapova
12. (d) India
13. (a) Jeff Bezos
14. (a) France
15. (a) Cristiano Ronaldo