Current Affairs News:
1. The Cabinet approved the merger of five associate banks of SBI — State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur, State Bank of Travancore, State Bank of Patiala, State Bank of Mysore and State Bank of Hyderabad as well as Bharatiya Mahila Bank with State Bank of India.
2. Andhra Pradesh has become the first State to have obtained a telecom license and it can issue phone numbers starting with the ‘797’ series from August this year.
3. President Pranab Mukherjee has been honoured with the highest Civilian Award of Ivory Coast – National Order of the Republic of Ivory Coast.
4. In the latest QS rankings 2016, Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and four IITs — Mumbai, Delhi, Madras and Kanpur have found a place in the list of Asia’s top 50 universities. IISC is placed at 33 this year in the list and IIT Mumbai is at 35th place.
5. Senior legal service officer Suresh Chandra has been appointed as the Law Secretary. Chandra, an officer of Indian Legal Service, is currently Additional Secretary in the department.
6. Chinese internet and technology Company LeEco has signed up as the official sponsor of the International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) awards 2016. 17th IIFA Awards will be held in Madrid, Spain, from June 23 to 26.
7. Peter Thomson of Fiji has been elected the President of the next session of the UN General Assembly. Thomson was the vice president of the General Assembly in 2010-11.
8. Sridevi will be honoured with the Lifetime achievement award for outstanding achievement in Indian cinema at the International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) awards in Madrid.
9. Government approved disinvestment of 10% stake in Housing & Urban Development Corporation Limited (HUDCO).
10. Italy’s “Osteria Francescana” has been crowned world’s best restaurant of 2016 at an awards ceremony in New York, the first Italian establishment to win the annual accolade.
Current Affairs Quiz:
1. Which country launched the world’s largest and most powerful vessel project 22220 dubbed Arktika?
2. The House of Commons of which country voted for gender neutral national anthem?
b) South Korea
c) United States
3. Who was adjudged as the Man of the Series of three-match One Day International (ODI) series between India and Zimbabwe?
a) Lokesh Rahul
b) Yuzvendra Chahl
c) Jasprit Bumrah
d) Axar Patel
4. Which App was launched by Union Ministry of Human Resource Development for volunteer work at government schools?
5. Name the American Literary Translator who passed away recently and worked on Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude.
a) David Ball
b) Gregory Rabassa
c) Armine Kotin Mortimer
d) Peter Sean Woltemade
6. Name the second European country that ratified the Paris Agreement, a deal on curbing global warming reached in 2015 by 195 countries.
7. Which Bank became the first Indian bank to get merged with its subsidiaries?
a) Union Bank of India
b) Oriental Bank of Commerce
c) State Bank of India
d) Central Bank of India
8. Which country’s Court of Appeals upheld net-neutrality rules that prohibit broadband carriers from playing favourites or blocking competing online services?
b) United States
9. Name the scheme under which the Ramayana and Krishna Circuit will be developed in different states of India.
a) Swadesh Darshan Scheme
b) Prashad Scheme
c) Scheme for Cultural Heritage of Himalayas
d) None of the above
10. With which country’s scientists Indian scientists will be associated in the project envisaged to release underwater robots into the Bay of Bengal to predict the Indian monsoon?
a) The US
11. Who was appointed as the Managing Director and Head of Institutional Banking of DBS Bank India?
a) Lalit Mittal
b) Niraj Mittal
c) Joy Basu
d) None of the above
12. Which state recently launched Child Labour Tracking System to keep a track of rescued child labour for their proper rehabilitation?
b) Uttar Pradesh
13. Name the island of Gujarat that was in news recently for getting power after 70 years of Independence.
d) Shiyal Bet
14. Name the Hollywood actor who was recently appointed as the goodwill ambassador of UN Women.
a) Anne Hathaway
b) Angelina Jolie
c) Emma Stone
d) Jessica Alba
15. Identify the mammal that was recently declared extinct primarily due to human-induced climate change.
a) Rattus norvegicus
b) Kangaroo rodents
c) Bramble Cay melomys
d) Great Reef pure melomys
1. (a) Russia
2. (d) Canada
3. (a) Lokesh Rahul
4. (c) Vidyanjali
5. (b) Gregory Rabassa
6. (d) France
7. (c) State Bank of India
8. (b) United States
9. (a) Swadesh Darshan Scheme
10. (b) Britain
11. (b) Niraj Mittal
12. (a) Bihar
13. (d) Shiyal Bet
14. (a) Anne Hathaway
15. (c) Bramble Cay melomys