1. Renowned scientist S K Sharma was appointed the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL).
2. Uttarakhand Governor K K Paul released a book ‘Visual Disability – a resource book for teachers’. The book has been prepared by the National Institute for the Visually Handicapped (NIVH) in collaboration with experts on the matter.
3. Tyre Maker Apollo Tyres and Wildlife Trust of India have entered into a partnership to restore a critical mangrove project in Kerala’s Kannur district.
4. Minister of Railways Shri Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu inaugurated five new activities namely (i) New AC Weekly Express train between H. Nizamuddin-Pune, (ii) Expansion of VIKALP Scheme of Alternate Train Reservation to Delhi-Howrah, Delhi- Chennai, Delhi-Mumbai and Delhi-Secunderabad Circuits, (iii) Pilot Project of Sale of Unreserved Tickets through Hand Held Terminals, (iv) Launching of Ergonomically Redesigned & Optimised Tools for Track Gangs, Keymen & Patrolmen and (v) Pilot Project for Improving Safety at Unmanned Level Crossing.
5. The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government notified its policy for app-based Premium Bus Service. As per the policy, bus aggregators will have individual apps — like Ola, Uber — and will be allowed to decide their fares, determine the routes and schedule of trips, which will be uploaded on their app; operators will have to freeze bookings and display a list of passengers five minutes before departure on each trip.
6. The country’s third-largest private sector lender, Axis Bank, has hit the international debt markets with its maiden green bond issue to raise $500 million.
7. Mohamed Nasheed, the former president of the Maldives, has been granted refugee status in Britain.
8. Barcelona lifted its 28th Copa Del Rey title by defeating Sevilla by 2-0 in the final match.
9. Louis van Gaal has been sacked as manager of Manchester United, with former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho set to be named as his replacement.
10. Markus Kattner, acting Secretary General of International Governing body of football, FIFA has been sacked.