Current Affairs Today:
1. The Union HRD Minister, Smt Smriti Irani launched the multilingual Bharatvani portal (www.bharatvani.in) and mobile app at Lucknow. Bharatavani is the first knowledge portal of its kind in India which focuses on becoming a single point source for multiple language learning, content and technology.
2. ICICI Bank has introduced a ‘Positive Pay’ feature in its mobile banking application which allows customers to transfer images of the cheques they have issued to the bank.
3. Government has finally enforced the decision of retirement fund body EPFO to almost double the maximum sum assured under its insurance scheme to 6 lakh. In September, Employee Provident Fund Organisation’s apex decision making body Central Board of Trustees (CBT) had decided to increase benefits under the Employees’ Deposit Linked Insurance (EDLI) scheme from Rs 3.6 lakh to Rs 6 lakh.
4. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) gave ex post facto approval to increase the foreign investment limit in YES Bank to 75 percent. Bank’s present foreign equity is 41.87 percent.
5. According to a joint study by Assocham-KPMG, India, which has emerged as world’s second largest mobile market, is also the fifth largest producer of e-waste, discarding roughly 18.5 lakh metric tonnes of electronic waste each year.
6. The Union Cabinet gave its ex post facto approval to amend the Institutes of Technology Act, 1961 to incorporate 6 new Indian Institutes Technology (IITs) at Tirupati, Palakkad, Bhilai, Goa and Jammu and conversion of Indian School of Mines (ISM), Dhanbad to an IIT.
7. Minister of State (Independent Charge) for AYUSH Shri Shripad Yesso Naik launched the new website of the Ministry of AYUSH and a web portal for International Day of Yoga (IDY) in New Delhi.
8. Renowned Chinese writer Yang Jiang died. She was 104.
9. Newborns may soon start getting Aadhaar as part of the Narendra Modi government’s efforts to provide the unique identification number to all residents by March 2017.
10. Indian-American students have swept the prestigious national bee competitions, securing the first three positions for this year’s National Geographic Bee championship finals. Rishi Nair from Florida took top honours at the 28th annual National Geographic Bee while Saketh Jonnalagadda and Kapil Nathan held the second and third positions respectively. This is the fifth consecutive year that an Indian-American has won the prestigious national tournament.
11. CPI-M leader Pinarayi Vijayan sworn in as the 22nd Chief Minister of
12. The World leaders begin two days of G7 talks with the deteriorating global economy, terrorism and refugees crisis, China's controversial maritime claims, and a possible Brexit headlining as their top agenda in Japan.
13. India becomes 5th largest producer of e-waste in world
14. Govt approves Capital Goods Policy, aims 21 million new jobs by 2025
15. Aditya Birla Fashion pips Myntra buys India rights of Forever 21
16. Sania Mirza, Bopanna and Paes win at French Open
1. Google was recently cleared of copyright infringement in a case over Google’s use of Java in Android. The case against Google was brought by which of the following companies?
a) Sun Microsystems
2. Name a week long initiative launched by the Ministry of Railways to showcase achievements during last two years.
a) Rail Humsafar Saptaah
b) Rail Humsafar Hafta
c) Week of Rail Humsafar
d) None of the above
3. Name the Indian pharmaceutical company that recently received tentative approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for Efavirenz tablets.
b) Cadila Healthcare
c) Strides Shasun
d) Aurobindo Pharma
4. Who of the following was named as the Prime Minister of Guinea Bissau by President Jose Mario Vaz?
a) Carlos Correia
b) Baciro Dja
c) Amílcar Cabral
d) Domingos Pereira
5. Aditya Birla Fashion and Retail Ltd recently acquired the rights of which of the following fashion retail brands?
c) Fashion Street
d) Forever 21
6. Name the Indian para-athlete who clinched gold medal in the men’s club throw F-51 event at the 2016 French Open Athletics Championship.
a) Amit Kumar Saroha
b) Devendra Jhajharia
c) Sumit Kohli
d) Devendra Thakur
7. The Union Government approved establishment of a National Investment and Manufacturing Zone (NIMZ) in which state?
8. Who of the following is the author of the book Gujarat Files: Anatomy of a Cover Up?
a) Rana Ayyub
b) Rev. Brian Kolodiejchuk
c) Husain Haqqani
d) Kartar Lalvani
9. Which country emerged as the fifth largest producer of e-waste in the world as per ASSOCHAM-KPMG study?
b) United States
10. Name the Indian-American student who won the 28th annual National Geographic Bee held at the National Geographic headquarters in Washington DC?
a) Saketh Jonnalagadda
b) Kapil Nathan
c) Karan Menon
d) Rishi Nair
11. Name the seventeenth Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) that was commissioned into Indian Navy at Kochi in May 2016?
a) ICGS Siddhant
b) ICGS Surya
c) ICGS ARUSH
d) ICGS Vikrant
12. Identify the Construction Company for which Union Cabinet gave its approval for financial restructuring on 25 May 2016
a) Hindustan Steel Works Construction Limited
b) Reliance Steels Pvt limited
c) Hindustan Fertilizer Corporation Limited
d) None of these
13. Name the company for which Union Cabinet gave its approval to takeover by National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited (NBCC) on 25 May 2016.
a) Hindustan Computers Limited
b) Hindustan Steel Works Construction Limited
c) Hindustan Fertilizer Corporation Limited
d) None of these
14. Name the noted Marathi literary critic who died on 27 May 2016.
a) RK Sharma
b) RG Jadhav
c) C Raghavendra
d) None of These
15. Identify the Union Ministry to which the Committee for the evolution of a National Education Policy submitted the report containing its recommendations.
a) Home Affairs
c) Human Resource Development
d) Earth Sciences
1. (b) Oracle
2. (a) Rail Humsafar Saptaah
3. (c) Strides Shasun
4. (b) Baciro Dja
5. (d) Forever 21
6. (a) Amit Kumar Saroha
7. (c) Odisha
8. (a) Rana Ayyub
9. (c) India
10. (d) Rishi Nair
11. (c) ICGS ARUSH
12. (a) Hindustan Steel Works Construction Limited
13. (b) Hindustan Steel Works Construction Limited
14. (b) RG Jadhav
15. (c) Human Resources Development