Current Affairs News:
1. Legendary Oscar winning Indian music composer A.R. Rahman has been awarded Japan’s Grand Fukuoka prize 2016 for his outstanding contribution to Asian culture through his music.
2. State Bank of India’s (SBI) point of sales terminal (PoS) network is now the largest in the country. Upto February 2016, there were 2.96 million Point of sale (POS) terminals installed by SBI in the country.
3. FICCI’s Economic Outlook Survey said that India’s GDP growth will be 7.7 percent for the fiscal year 2016-17.
4. Actor R Madhavan has been appointed the goodwill ambassador against leprosy by LEPRA India. LEPRA India is a non-government organisation working in the fields of leprosy, tuberculosis, malaria, HIV/AIDS and community health.
5. Pope Francis honoured Hollywood actors Richard Gere, George Clooney and Salma Hayek with the ‘Olive Medal of Peace’.
6. Star Indian batsman Virat Kohli has been named Ceat T20 Player of the Year while former Indian captain Dilip Vengsarkar was conferred with the Lifetime Achievement Award.
7. China successfully launched a new civilian ‘high-resolution mapping satellite’ along with two other foreign satellites. The Ziyuan III 02 satellite took off on the back of a Long March 4B rocket from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Centre in northern Shanxi Province. It was the 228th flight mission by a Long March carrier rocket.
8. England Captain Alastair Cook became the youngest cricketer to complete 10,000 runs in test cricket. Till now, this record was owned by Indian star Sachin Tendulkar.
9. National football team goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu has achieved a historic feat as he became the first Indian to feature in a top-tier league match in Europe.
10. India has the dubious distinction of having the highest number of people in the world trapped in modern slavery with 18.35 million victims of forced labour, begging, according to the 2016 Global Slavery Index released by Australia-based human rights group Walk Free Foundation.