Introduction to Artificial Intelligence:
Definition of AI
What is AI?
Artificial Intelligence is concerned with the design of
intelligence in an artificial device.
The term was coined by McCarthy in 1956.
There are two ideas in the definition.
2. Artificial device
What is intelligence?
– Is it that which characterize humans? Or is there an absolute
standard of judgment?
– Accordingly there are two possibilities:
– A system with intelligence is expected to behave as
intelligently as a human
– A system with intelligence is expected to behave in the best
– Secondly what type of behavior are we talking about?
– Are we looking at the thought process or reasoning ability of
– Or are we only interested in the final manifestations of the
system in terms of its actions?
Given this scenario different interpretations have been used
by different researchers as defining the scope and view of