Objectives of Course
• Understand the relevance and underlying infrastructure of
the multimedia systems.
• Understand core multimedia technologies and standards
(Digital Audio, Graphics, Video,
• Be aware of factors involved in multimedia systems
performance, integration and evaluation
Topics in the module include the following:
• Introduction: Multimedia applications and requirements (e.g.,
overview of multimedia systems, video-on-demand, interactive
television, video conferencing, hypermedia courseware,
groupware, World Wide Web, and digital libraries).
• Audio/Video fundamentals including analog and digital
representations, human perception, and
audio/video equipment, applications.
• Audio and video compression
– perceptual transform coders for images/video
(e.g., JPEG, MPEG, H.263, etc.),
– scalable coders (e.g., pyramid coders),
– and perceptual audio encoders.
– image and video processing applications and algorithms